Investigators searching for motive in Friday’s mass shooting » Investigators are still trying to figure out what drove the gunman in Friday’s massacre in Virginia Beach to gun down 12 people in a municipal building.
CERVERA: We are looking as deep as we can into motives from work, personal motives, professional motives, motives that could have happened.
Virginia Beach Police Chief, James Cervera, heard there. He said so far they have no evidence to suggest he was a disgruntled employee. The 40-year-old gunman put in his two-week notice the morning of the shooting.
He worked there as a civil engineer for 15 years. And City Manager Dave Hansen said he was an employee “in good standing” and showed “satisfactory” job performance. Records showed no history of disciplinary issues.
The gunman is among the dead. Police shot and killed him at the scene.
Officials are asking for prayers and support for the four wounded survivors of the attack. Dave Hansen said it will be a long road to recovery.
HANSEN: We will be wrapping our arms around them as they are coming out of their surgeries because all of them have had multiple surgeries.
Hansen added that as of Sunday morning, officials had contacted all of the victims’ families.
President Trump serious about Mexico tariffs » President Trump is very serious about slapping tariffs on Mexico over the crisis on the southern border. That according to Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney on Sunday.
MULVANEY: They’ve got tremendously strong immigration laws, much stronger than ours. They have the ability to do things that we cannot. Congress will not help us fix our laws, so we’re turning to Mexico to help us fix the situation on the border.
The president said last week that he will impose a 5 percent tariff on Mexican goods on June 10. The import tax will then increase by 5 percent every month through October, topping out at 25 percent. And the White House will lift the tariffs only when the president is satisfied with Mexico’s efforts to stem the flow of migrants to the U.S.-Mexico border.
As of now, there are no concrete benchmarks being set to assess if or when Mexico is doing enough to satisfy the White House. But Mulvaney said “They have to get dramatically better and they have to get better quickly.”
Pompeo: U.S. ready to talk with Iran “with no preconditions” » Amid tensions with Iran, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that the U.S. stands is ready to talk but will not back down in the face of Iranian aggression.
POMPEO: We’re prepared to engage in a conversation with no preconditions. We’re ready to sit down with them. But the American effort to fundamentally reverse the malign activity is going to continue.
Pompeo heard there during a visit to Switzerland. The secretary is looking to reassure Eureopean leaders that the U.S. is not eager for war.
But Iran’s foreign minister once again said his government is not interested in talking to President Trump. Mohammad Javad Zarif told ABC’s This Week…
ZARIF: Talking is the continuation of the process of pressure. He is imposing pressure. This may work in the real estate market. It does not work in dealing with Iran.
He called U.S. sanctions against Iran “economic terrorism.”
President Trump begins state visit to U.K. with royal welcome » President Trump arrived in London this morning for the start of a three-day state visit. He’ll be the guest of honor at Buckingham Palace today—starting with a ceremonial welcome in the palace garden. He’ll then enjoy a private lunch with Queen Elizabeth II and her grandson, Prince Harry.
During this week’s visit, the president will also meet with Prime Minister Theresa May, just days before she steps down as Conservative Party leader.
President Trump has expressed support for May, but has also criticized her handling of England’s exit from the European Union. On Sunday he said the UK should “walk away” from Brexit talks with the EU and refuse to pay a $50 billion so-called “divorce bill” if it doesn’t get better terms.
Godzilla 2 opens on top at weekend box office » At the weekend box office, a big opening for a monster movie sequel.
TRAILER: So you want to make Godzilla our pet? No, we will be his.
Godzilla 2 hauled in $49 million in its opening weekend.
That bumped Disney’s live-action reboot of Aladdin to second place.
TRAILER: There’s a cave of wonders. Bring me the lamp.
Aladdin brought in another $42 million in ticket sales.
The R-rated Elton John biopic Rocketman opened in third place with $25 million.
You can find WORLD’s reviews of current films—along with ratings and content information—at WNG.org/movies.