Investigators look for answers following deadly shooting in CA » Investigators are looking for answers after a 19-year-old opened fire on a food festival in California, killing three people, including two children.
FAIR: Our preeminent and principle concern at this point is motivation, ideological leanings — was he affiliated with anyone or any group. That still has to be ruled out. That still has to be determined at this point.
The attack happened Sunday night near the end of the three-day Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California. The attacker used an assault-style rifle he purchased legally in Nevada earlier this month. He cut through a fence to get into the festival to avoid metal detectors and security.
Police officers patrolling the event responded quickly, shooting and killing the gunman.
A 6-year-old boy, a 13-year-old girl, and a man in his 20s died in the attack.
Twelve others were wounded. Santa Clara County spokeswoman Joy Alexiou said five remain hospitalized.
ALEXIOU: One in critical condition, one in serious condition and one in fair condition. The two other patients that are here requested that no additional information be provided.
Police are still searching for a motive. They’re also investigating reports that a second person may have been involved in the attack.
Two American troops killed in Afghanistan » An Afghan soldier shot and killed two American service members in Kandahar, Afghanistan. That according to U.S. officials on Monday.
U.S. Central Command confirmed that two U.S. troops are dead. But the Pentagon’s withholding information until it notifies next of kin.
Officials said the Afghan soldier was wounded and is in custody.
U.S. and allied forces have faced increasing insider attacks in recent years. The Taliban have rejected calls for a cease-fire even as they hold talks with U.S. negotiators to end the 18-year war.
Dir of national intelligence stepping down » Director of national intelligence, Dan Coats, is stepping down. And Democrats are not happy with the GOP lawmaker President Trump picked to replace him. WORLD Radio’s Kristen Flavin reports.
KRISTEN FLAVIN, REPORTER: Dan Coats has been on the job for more than two years. But he’s often appeared out of step with President Trump—sometimes disagreeing publicly. Coats split with the White House over Russian election interference and North Korean nuclear capabilities, among other things.
In a tweet, President Trump thanked Coats for his service and said he will nominate Texas Congressman John Ratcliffe to replace him.
Ratcliffe previously served as chief of anti-terrorism and national security for the Eastern District of Texas. President George W. Bush appointed him to that job in 2004.
Democrats criticized his new appointment, saying the president is simply appointing one of his loyalists to the post.
Reporting for WORLD Radio, I’m Kristen Flavin.
President signs Sept 11 victims compensation fund extension » President Trump sat at a desk in the Rose Garden on Monday, surrounded by more than 60 first responders from the 9/11 terrorist attacks. And with pen in hand, he signed a bill into law ensuring the 9/11 victims compensation fund never runs out of money.
The bill passed on a bipartisan basis. It makes permanent the financial support for families who lost loved ones in the attacks. It also provides pensions for those suffering from cancer and other illnesses stemming from the toxic debris left behind after the attack.
TRUMP: Today we come together as one nation to support our September 11th heroes, to care for their families, and to renew our eternal vow: Never, ever forget.
The $7.4 billion fund had been rapidly depleting, and administrators recently cut benefit payments by up to 70 percent.
P.R.’s next in line for gov doesn’t want the job » Just days before Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rosselló is set to resign, the person next in line for the job says she doesn’t want it. WORLD Radio’s Sarah Schweinsberg has that story.
SARAH SCHWEINSBERG, REPORTER: Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez urged Rosselló to appoint a new secretary of state, who would assume the governorship. She said she has “no interest” in the position.
The Puerto Rican Constitution designates the territory’s secretary of state as the governor’s successor. But that position was among those vacated after a leak of offensive online messages shared by top officials. Secretary of State Luis Rivera Marín resigned two weeks ago amid the scandal.
Since Vázquez, who is next in line, said she doesn’t want the job, it’s unclear what will happen next.
Reporting for WORLD Radio, I’m Sarah Schweinsberg.