NICK EICHER, HOST: Life has its little annoyances, and one of them is the common housefly.
But I’m going to tell you about a little annoyance that became a really big one.
French media reported the story of a gentleman in his 80s, sitting down to enjoy dinner when the unwanted guest buzzed by over and over again.
So the man grabbed an electric flyswatter and came out swinging.
Here’s the problem. Unbeknownst to him, he had a gas leak—a leaking gas canister. See where we’re heading here?
An electric fly swatter isn’t about swatting. It’s about sparking.
And it sparked. But instead of zapping the fly, it ignited the fuel, caused an explosion, and set his roof on fire.
Thankfully, the man suffered only a burn to his hand and he’s otherwise OK. But as his home undergoes repair, he had to check into a campground. Here’s hoping he remembered to bring bug repellant.
It’s The World and Everything in It.